Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Another loop around


It's getting a bit wild around here. After tons of rain things are really coming up green and starting to bloom. So we'll have another look at the yard sooner than I expected. Above is the "miniature" rose bush I was given. It was one of those tiny little pots that you get from the grocery store and it was dying inside the house. I thought, well it can't hurt if I just throw it in the ground. That was an understatement. I didn't realize it meant miniature roses, instead I thought the whole bush would be tiny. I'd say it's almost 5 feet tall now. It needs a serious pruning at the end of the season.

I noticed the first bloom on one of my clematis vines today. Big surprise, I saw my first Japanese beetle of the season too. They demolish these and my crepe myrtle every year, but somehow the plants manage grow back.



This next bush has been here for a long time and I have no idea what it is but I see it all over the county. It has the most fragrant, sweet blooms and I just like to find excuses to walk past it.


I swear it's gotta be at least 10 feet tall. Another serious pruning needed.


Yellow iris are popping up all over. I've thinned them a few times and done some transplanting so now I have probably 5 or 6 spots around the house that look like this.


Saving the best for last, here is the rose bush the kids and Kevin planted for me two years ago for Mother's Day. Roses are some of my favorite flowers.


After I took all these pictures I got in the car to go knit with Pam (a special group project) and needed to hear a certain song. I've always been drawn to it and never really investigated why until recently. One line, seems fitting here.

"He looked beneath his shirt today
There was a wound in his flesh so deep and wide
From the wound a lovely flower grew
Somewhere deep inside"

--Sting from "The Lazarus Heart"

if you have the lyrics...keep reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.