Monday, October 20, 2008

Role reversal

One of the great joys and surprises of parenthood is the opportunity to be taught by your own children. Seeing life through their big, innocent eyes and their first-time-hearing-fresh-approach to some of the basic, simple rules of humanity is priceless and every bit worth paying attention to. The irony between the teasing he endured today, and how this book drew him in ("I love this book, Mom!") was too great for him to see, but it will stick with me for a very long time. I am moved by his goodness, his joy and his ability to let things go and get on with life.

What I learned most today though, is that as much as I want to step in and make everything perfect and happy for him, I can't. Like it or not, he has to put one foot in front of the other each day as it comes, good or bad. He does a much better job at it than me. I suppose I'm just starting out as his student.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From all that I've read about him, he does a much better job than most of us. Those moments are priceless.