Saturday, October 18, 2008

Rain

It's inevitable. Life will rain on you. Sometimes it's a drizzle, other times it's a long, drawn out soaker, and sometimes it's a downright hailstorm. The long weekend camping trip we were supposed to take was cancelled due to rain, and it's just as well because we've been battling our own figurtive drizzle as a family and need to be nowhere but right here where we are. Nothing major, no alarms should go off and it's eventually something I'll be able to laugh about (maybe laugh and grimace simultaneously), but just not right now.

Thank goodness for family coming together, for understanding friends whose acts of grace touch me deeply and make me want to be a better person, and for patience, love and persistence that can weather the storms, big or small.

For over 15 years I've kept a piece of artwork hanging in my house strategically placed where I can read the poem that accomplanies it on a daily basis. It's wisdom is uncanny whether things are as bad as they can get, or as simple as if I just stub my toe. Coincidentally it was written by someone who shares the same name as my 9th grade honors geometry teacher. Go figure.

"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job
is to make sure you don't get too comfortable
and fall asleep and miss your life."

--Bill Andreas

Those angels are paying close attention to us right now. I hope they move on by tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a poem so worth remembering.