Saturday, October 11, 2008

The perfect evening

For the perpetually cold, the prospect of Fall and Winter approaching can be a bit unsettling. Memories of icy toes, fingers and ears are not ones to necessarily look forward to, yet there are things I definitely like about the changing seasons. The way the air smells, the changing colors, the angle of light and walking out of the house at 6 a.m. to Orion's belt in the still night sky are wonderful, but what really gets me excited is cozying up by a fire. Whether it be outdoors or in, count me in, to be curled up right next to it.

So that's what we're up to tonight. Our first bonfire of the season, followed by a homemade dinner with country bisquits from scratch, grilled free-range chicken legs from the market , fresh salad and produce also market finds, followed by s'mores and a good fire. The only things left to add are family and some knitting and I think I've gone to heaven.

What's that you ask? Oh, yes, that is Allie up there with her calculator. A new obsession.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, bonfires.

No calculator is safe in my house. Its always a scramble before a show to make sure I have one (then theres all the math done on the inside of the receipt books cuz I couldn't find one...)