Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Out with the old

In with the new.

I consider myself pretty thrifty. But there are times when not spending money looks more foolish than economical. Take the socks in the first picture, for instance. I'm rather embarassed to say that the green pair is at least 15 years old, and the white ones are, ahem, even older. Last year Kevin even asked when I was going to get rid of those "wretched ol' things". (He likes to say wretched when he really wants to express disgust.) Even though they're "wear camping socks" and "wear bumming around the house socks", they're nearly every day socks. So as I reflected on his comment and their frequency of wear, I decided it was time to throw out the old and bring in the new.

I'm capable of wasting a great deal of mental time and energy on being frugal. Like figuring out how to fit in an out of the way trip to the cheapest gas station when time won't really allow for it, or suffering with freezing feet all because I'm too cheap to buy new ones. I justify it by saying to myself that there are more important priorities to spend money on. Like the kids, the family, food, etc. but every once in a while I'll stop myself and ask, "aren't I part of the family too?".

This may seem trivial on the surface and as I said before a huge time waster, but I'm sure there's some great psychological reason why I operate this way. I have my own theories and maybe you do too, but whatever they are, the most important thing for me to remember is...I'm workin' on my flexibility when it comes to some of my old worn out ways that benefit no one.

Enough of that. Here's the basket report: 2 down, 1 to go and I think I'm on my way to a dislocated index finger. Well, maybe that's a little melodramatic. It just feels like it. (point of reference: these babies are 8" in diameter and 8" tall)

Fitting that they're going to someone in Sweden, eh? Simple lines, cream, makes me think of Sweden.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, if I told you you should knit yourself some socks, would you throw a basket at me?