Monday, January 19, 2009

A sweater to match

The weather has been strange here lately, as we've gone from many days with the temperature hovering around the zero mark, to now, when the temp has gone up about thirty degrees but it's just damp and foggy and curiously lacking rain.

These winter trees are what I notice most this time of year and how you can see every twisted, crooked, gnarled branch like a dark shadow against the grey sky.

Somehow this leads me to talk about the yarn that came for a new sweater a day or two ago. The sweater plan that floated around in my head for several days went from simple to simpler to simplest as I pared it down to probably the most basic thing I could possibly make. You see I used to have this great grey sweater that I wore completely out in about 12 years (well, maybe less than that but I kept it for 12, you know how it is). It was the perfect layer. I wore it camping, hiking, biking, to class, out, anywhere. It was wool and warm but thin enough to wear comfortably under a coat and I wore the heck out of it. Since I forced myself to part with it I haven't been able to come up with a replacement, well, until now I hope.

Yes, I'm stuck on the raglan sleeve, but I love their look and the simplicity of knitting from the top down. Not a cardigan this time, but a wide-ish sort of neck, long sleeves, some shaping at the sides, you know, basic. Throw it on over a long-sleeved t-shirt, with jeans and boots and I'm ready. And with all the color possibilities of this yarn, who knows, maybe I'll have one to match every kind of weather.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice- can't wait to watch it grow. (I absolutely love winter trees against a gray sky)