Saturday, June 28, 2008

You can't imagine


You can't imagine what it's like to wake up in the morning knowing full well that the skunk, this time, has gone and sprayed not just the groundhog but under the house. Oh yes. This was the morning. I was up early to get ready for the market and Kevin sprang into action.

Two industrial-sized fans sucking air out from under the crawl space. ON.
Windows. OPEN.
Candles. LIT.
Mood. GRUMPY. FRUSTRATED. And a little PISSED.

I felt bad leaving him to suffer through it himself, but had to get to the market which was great by the way. Just keeps getting better week after week. He brought the kids up after a while and it was clear he was miserable. Tell tale sign of a man defeated by skunk. He snipped at the kids and me, especially when I made suggestions about de-skunking, enough that I finally said, "hey, I'm not the skunk and I'm not the groundhog, remember me? I'm your wife, the one you love and adore. (smile)"

When I got home his mood had shifted again. This time sad and taking it personally. "Let's just bulldoze the house and start over (he's said this about a hundred times). What have I done to deserve a skunk spraying under the house? Is this payback for [insert ugly behavior here]? Seriously, what did I do to deserve this?"

And me, consoling, positive, proactive, taking the kids away for the afternoon to One Earth Natural Marketplace and the pool. Go honey, do what you need to do, take some time, go fishing. Much better.

The fans work wonders, but for the lingering staleness my new remedy is diffusing essential oils from One Earth. Man, does that work. My scent of choice today is called "purification". If that's not appropriate I don't know what is. I also bought a great handmade diffuser from her. Totally worth it. Better than 10 candles.

So what does the picture up above have to do with anything? This momma needs to kick back is what that means! Too busy for my own good but having a great summer. I've got all three kids going off the diving board. Yippee! They're having so much fun and I love watching it. Allie was at a point where she was frustrated she couldn't do more at the pool, but she's worked her way through it and challenged herself and now there's never a dull moment.

The market has been keeping me extremely busy but it's been a great business move too. It's much more fun than I imagined it could be. The wholesale orders for One Earth are still coming (one today) and keep me on my toes. With VBS over I'm looking forward to having time this week to get more knitting work done.

The garden is getting into gear. We may even have ripe tomatoes in a week. That's pretty normal around here, but it seems like ours always come in a little later than that. I'm psyched to see what we've got. I planted several varieties I've never tried before, including some heirlooms and threw all the labels/info away so I have no idea what's out there growing. I like being surprised that way. Guess I'm not your typical gardener.

But tonight I'm relaxing. Watching perhaps my favorite show, Ace of Cakes on Food Network. If you've never seen it you're in for a treat. It's like a living blog of some eclectic, artistic, completely laid back cake creators in Baltimore. Totally hilarious and will take me away from all thoughts skunk.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Happy (belated) Birthday! It's not yours or Kevin's fault - the animals just wanted to wish you a happy day - all those peaches and such - and that's the only way they knew how.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!