Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Who's got the...

button?




I never knew a group of quilters, introduced to me by a friend at the market would be such a fantastic source of old, old buttons. Nor did I ever think I'd be so fascinated by them and eager to make them into new jewelry pieces.

After working at the hospital two days in a row, I've planted myself on the floor, spread out all my buttons and beads and am trying to get down to business. The most time-consuming factor for me by far (when making jewelry) is the design process. So many of my pieces are one of a kind and so there's no pattern to follow, only a feeling about how they should look. So it goes much slower than you would think or I would like, but the results are usually rewarding so I stick with my methods.

The kids are remarkably calm and each into their own thing. Meanwhile, there's no background music today, instead I'm watching a favorite summer indulgence. Wimbledon. It always reminds me of summer, my birthday, and a week later, the 4th of July. I remember watching it every summer as a kid on the snowy screen of a rabbit-eared TV at our summer house back in the midwest. We'd watch in the morning and then go swim and play tennis later in the day. I still remember being glued to Chris Everett, John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg, Jimmy Connors, Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, a very young, long-haired Andre Agassi, Boris Becker, Ivan Lendl, the list goes on and on.

What takes you back and reminds you of summers past?

No comments: