Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summer evenings

It's no secret here that I spend the majority of my life being cold, and that summer is and has always been my favorite time of year. I feel like I can finally expand from within to fill my skin instead of shrinking away from the outside to stay warm. I stretch, I relax, I'm finally comfortable. Ahhhh.

There's a certain magic reserved for long summer evenings, where the sun hangs on as long as it can, the outdoors beckon, the fireflies begin to light and the kids are easily lost in its timelessness.

Last night and quite alot recently, it's been the small hills around the house that have the kids' attention and energy, as they try to see how fast they can fly.

There's usually a healthy dose of mischief too. Hmmm, I wonder what he has on his mind? (Let's see how fast I can make her fly down the hill! At least that's what that look says to me, and as usual, she's oblivious to the plot against her.)

Any way to the bottom is fair game, using various modes of transporation, or really whatever works.


And then the long, steady walk back up. But then, she knows she has all the time in the world. How much I wish I could freeze this moment and hold it forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful.