Monday, April 21, 2008

rainy days

To say it's been raining around here is an understatement. In just two days it feels like we've had a month's worth of rain. It's really hard to take a picture of rain, so here are a couple of pictures to show you not only the wet, but also the good, good green that follows.







It's also knocking all the dreaded greenish yellow pollen off the trees that despite drops, sprays and decongestants relegates Lauren mostly to the indoors. Only another week or so...

Rain washes away, it makes new, it is imperative for growth and can foster a new beginning. After a quick trip down memory lane today with a friend I'm reminded of my escape to Virginia, the chance to start new, shake off the old habit of "going along to get along", and an opportunity to really start living. It's a move I'll never regret, it's the one that saved me.

I started humming a song by Tracy Chapman tonight that I hadn't listened to in forever. On her album "New Beginning" the last song is entitled "I'm Ready" and on a CD that doesn't have a bad song, it's perhaps my favorite.

from the song "New Beginning":

we can break the cycle
we can break the chain
we can start all over
in the new beginning


and from "I'm Ready":

I want to wake up and know where I'm going
say I'm ready...
I want to go where the rivers are overflowing
and I'll be ready...
I'm ready to let the rivers wash over me
If it's love flowing freely I'm ready I'm ready...
If the waters can redeem me
I'm ready...

That CD's definitely going in my car tomorrow.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

And I'm delighted that we met along the way!

Your e-mail is fighting with my e-mail - yours is winning. Would you read my blog, consider yourself one of the "dear friends" and offer any comments? I crafted a much more explanatory e-mail, but this may work.

Available to knit on Thursday evening?