Monday, November 19, 2012

Knees to the floor: let sleeping dogs lie

{a recurring series, a post between friends, inspired by a mini-meditation retreat led by Karen Maezen Miller. we are grateful she showed up.}
 

If a dog naps as the Buddhist meditates, or rather, he sits when there is nothing more to do, then Clair's dogs have found their zen. 

There has been a shift in my perspective lately and I'll tell you what I've learned.

First, there is time enough.  Time hasn't changed, there isn't more of it or less, I don't have any magic secret or less to do than you and I won't share my whole list because it's the same as yours.  But I will tell you that the kitchen was painted this weekend and the dining room too, a last minute decision, not because I'm some vomit-inducing over-achiever but because it needed it and there was time.  The same amount of time I've always had, only a shift in focus onto what I do have rather than what I don't.

Next, my husband is always right.  Yes, I said it, but then I am too. But more than that, there isn't really any 'right' or 'wrong', there just is.  I've realized arguments or disagreements no matter how petty are pointless.  I can listen and nod and know that his opinion is valid even if I disagree 100% and keep my mouth shut.  When he closes up and I whip out the checkbook it's ok, no argument necessary. Listening ears, open heart, nodding head, sincerity, the change in perspective that has come without trying, without intention or force, without my knowledge it would arrive, is a pleasant guest, just in time for Thanksgiving.


No comments: