Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How I almost ruined the turkey 3 days before Thanksgiving

Okay, well it wouldn't have really been my fault if the turkey was ruined, but Thanksgiving would have been seriously botched had I not checked in on the turkey yesterday. I bought it fresh last week from Trader Joe's (yes, I'm sick of hearing myself talk about that place too and I promise to stop), sealed in a bag in a brine, guaranteed to be good 'till early December as long as the bag was not opened. I just happened to want to check the weight of it yesterday to estimate cooking time when I realized it was sitting in a puddle of brine in the plastic bag it was in. It didn't smell bad yet, but definitely smelled like raw bird and a chill went up my spine. I quickly was on the phone to the store, told them there was a puncture in the bag and the man said, "Oh, you need to bring that in so we can give you another one." Hallelujah. I don't think Wal Mart would have told me the same thing, do you? So I'm on turkey #2 and keep checking it every few hours. Yes, I know that's obessive.

I've been working like crazy lately, hence the decrease in posting frequency and here's some of the latest:



they're done in O-wool again this time with a pumkin-y color that makes me think of Thanksgiving. I don't have much of it so I'm tempted to just see what the response is locally before I list it in my Etsy shop. What do you think, should I call it "pumpkin cream" or "pumpkin spice" or some other name more fun than orange and cream?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin cheesecake! Yum.

And yay for Trader Joe's- you may talk about them all you want. (rumor has it one is finally coming to C-ville- yippee)