Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sailing away


Yesterday I really felt like sailing away. It was just one of those days where nothing seemed to be going right, all compounded by the fact that Allie and I had very little sleep. I never realized until after I was a mother what a difference a good night's sleep will make. Anyway, Allie's on summer cold #2 and was up a couple of times in the night saying she was scared and couldn't sleep. I'd been tossing and turning up until that point and when she came and woke me up I was awake pretty much the rest of the night. I wasn't feeling too great physically either, maybe a little touch of the bug that's going around so I'm sure I was a big ball of fun.

Kevin walked in the house after work and immediately said, "What's wrong? You look all jacked up." Ahhh, just what I wanted to hear. But after 10 years of marriage I know that I'd better fess up right then and there or things won't go so well. So I spilled it, all the little things that had snowballed into one yucky mood and afterward felt much better. Always do.

To top it off, a package arrived in the mail, a book from a good friend entitled, Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Maybe you've heard of it, I know I'm out of the loop. It was written in the 50's by a woman who must have been seriously ahead of her time. It was the perfect gift at the perfect time. Thanks, AM. An exerpt from the back of the book reads:

Anne Morrow Lindbergh reflects on a world totally changed in two decades-but a world unchanged in the profound need in women for self-realization; the need for each woman...to learn and relearn the painful lesson that "woman must come of age by herself-she must find her true center alone."


Was her timing perfect or what? Now for an explanation of the pictures. The first is a new hat style I hope to have in the shop very soon. The second is an annual flower that was given to me by Kevin's grandmother 4 years ago and it continues to come up in the same spot each year. I know it can reseed itself, but to come up in the exact same spot? Seems to be a special plant. I think she called it a trumpet flower, someone can let me know if that's wrong. It's so cool, the flowers are huge, probably 8-10" wide I'd guess, and only bloom at night so if you want to see them you've got to catch them early in the morning. It makes for a very serene early morning garden picture. And then they're gone.

No comments: