Friday, August 8, 2008

Old friends, new friends


If you told me 16 years ago that my best friend in graduate school and I would still be best friends and hanging out with our 5 children at her parents house at the river 16 years later, I don't think I could have pictured it. If you told me that my son and her two boys would be instantly like brothers, I would have been amazed, but that's just what has happened.

We went to see her and her boys, and her sister-in-law and her two boys as well. So there were 3 moms and 7 kids, all swimming, jumping, catching crabs, wave-runnering, boating, throwing tennis balls for the 4 large dogs (that was Lauren's calling), and just having an all-around great time. Rough, I know, but it was good to get me out of my work mode and have real fun with the kids. The water toys are nice, but they would have been just as happy with only water, chicken necks, a net, crabs, tennis balls, dogs, sand, buckets and friends. Very simple.

It's like magic when time with friends is so easy, free and honest. It's so hard to find, and takes nurturing to keep. And that's just what I intend to do.