Friday, February 13, 2009

Deja vu

Hats and chickens, hats and chickens, more of the same today. Luckily I have 3 friends who all have chickens and experience with them ranging from 1 year to 77. With all that knowledge so close at hand we ought to be able to figure the whole thing out. But from what I understand one can start the venture only but so well prepared. A good bit of the process comes from doing, observing and probably some minor mistakes here and there as well.


So we're pretty excited about the future, Kevin and I, today really seems like the world is wide open. Such an optimistic statement in such uncertain times, but it's pretty amazing what an evening spent with good friends followed by a full night of sleep can do for a person. I've really underestimated the power of an evening spent knitting and chatting with the girls. I feel renewed and energized, thinking a bit more concretely about what the next year may bring.

I've talked a bit about this subject before, that fateful day when my youngest travels off to Kindergarten, and it's hitting me again now--that need to be prepared. Not emotionally prepared, I'm planning on just going with my emotions when the time comes, fully accepting that they don't stay home or babies forever. No, I want to be prepared as to what I'm going to do with myself. I could be a normal person and realize that just because the kids are gone part of the day doesn't mean there's nothing to do. Oh no, there's plenty to do I just know myself and that I will find more than plenty to do, and I just want to make sure I think this through before I go ahead and do whatever it is I'm going to do.

I'd always just assumed that I'd go back to working 10 or so hours per week as a PT (right now it's just 1 day per month), but with this whole knitting thing and the booties (for heaven's sake, the booties!) my imagination is running wild all over the place with the endless possibilities. Hope I can reign them all in and make some sense of the right direction to take.

In the meantime I'm going to be designing a chicken coop. ha! Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one with such feelings in regards to work and the youngest heading off to kindergarten in the fall!

And good luck with the chickens...sounds like a fun venture!