Monday, September 1, 2008

She knits, she purls, she weeds

I've been playing catch up the past few days which meant a serious bout of weeding yesterday. The kids started back to school this past Monday and then Sunny arrived along with 2 1/2 days of rain. Now that she's all settled in it was the perfect time to tackle the back yard weeds. As you can see that doesn't just mean little weeds, it includes the vine and tree variety. That's how bad I'd let it get. In all there were two loaded down wheelbarrowfuls and I dug up and hauled away another load of daylilies. There's a whole lot more of those to go. I decided I wanted other things in the backyard and will just spread those out other places. If anyone wants some just let me know, they're yours.

Part of my excuse was the desert wasteland the ground had become during the drought and the other part is my fear of poison ivy. Being severely allergic to it and wanting to avoid huge, swollen and oozing limbs, I put off weeding as long as I can. I also now use a hoe and rubber dishwashing gloves which help, but I'm one of those who can just pass by the plant and get a horrible rash.

Sunny was a huge help. She helped me dig holes for the sedum I finally planted and came up snorting snoutfuls of dirt. She's doing so well we really can't believe how lucky we are. She's right there to play if you want to, or if no one's in the backyard she just goes to sleep on the porch. Last night she was so tired I had to pick her up onto her feet to get her to come inside to go to bed. All signs are pointing in the right direction. Now we just need to see how she likes the boat.

No comments: