Sunday, December 23, 2012

Looks (and tastes) like Christmas


Finally, amidst the whirlwind of it all, there was time for baking.


Peppermint bark is a family favorite and so easy I can't help but make several batches.


Layer cookies, my husband's favorite, are a must.


And then are the pfeffernusse, the very old, traditional German Christmas cookie, the one I grew up eating by the handfuls, dunked in milk, coffee or just plain.  I haven't made them for years but decided I needed to start again because they're just that special and my kids need to know about them.  There are many variations it seems, ours appears to be somewhat Americanized and the shape may be specific to our family.  Whatever the case, they're perfect for dunking, one little clover leaf at a time.


This tub full may not make it all the way till Christmas.

 
I'll have them with my coffee for breakfast while they last...the kids had theirs with hot chocolate...too good.  Some things just feel like Christmas and without them it's not quite right.
 

 

No comments: