Sunday, December 2, 2012

Feels like Christmas


Yesterday my youngest and I traveled down to the city to a local art/craft show, perfect for pre-Christmas planning and shopping.


She prized a doll, originally minus the face and hat, and named her Carrie. 


Without intending to, I made a serious dent in my gift purchases.  From little packages,


to the prettiest chocolates,


and things that come in little boxes, I walked away loaded down and with empty pockets.  I finally met a friend of a friend who's married to an old high school buddy of my husband's (I've heard the stories for years), and even ran into this guy who remembers me from my selling days, apparently we were in a show together what seems like eons ago.  And that's when it hit me, what a tiny town Richmond really is.


A local show like that will put me in the Christmas spirit much more than the mall.  I like seeing what I don't usually see, really things I've never seen before and I always come away inspired.  Tired, but inspired, enough to decorate the tree.  The kids have taken that over though.  For the past three years at least I let them do it entirely after I string the lights.  I realized any control I wanted to have over how the tree was decorated was a futile attempt, so now I sit back, relax, listen to the music and watch the mayhem unfold.

 

No comments: