Thursday, August 25, 2011

Flash Forward


It's a strange thing to meet your future self, but that's just what I did the other day.  She was a patient at the hospital and we only had a couple of encounters but we wasted no time getting straight to the heart of the matter.

She began with a 20 minute rant about the gross injustice, inappropriateness and insult of arrogance, egoism and abject criticism that had been unfortunately thrust upon her the day before and I listened and listened and felt every bit of her pain and frustration.  I liked her instantly.

It was strange, our similarities, I knew them straight away and had the eerie feeling I was somehow looking into the mirror, flash forward 30 years or so.

We kept on the next day.  She told me about her sheep, her wool, her knitting, her art, wonderful life with its troubles, the parts that have made her so strong, so resilient.  We shared.

"You know, you're just like me,"  she said.  "Oh, maybe that's too presumptuous, honey.  I'm sorry, you may not want to be like me, but I think we have alot in common."

"No,"  I said, "I already felt that connection yesterday, I think we're on the same page.  Funny."

"I think we were somehow supposed to meet.  I really mean that, honey.  You've really made my time here so much better.  Thank you."

Some days have the potential to be just that surreal when I least expect it, usually when I need it most, and they remind me what I'm doing there in the first place.

1 comment:

ownyourbackbone.blogspot.com said...

What a wonderful post. I have never had such an experience but do meet peopel I know I have met before - some other time, some other place. You probably reminded this lady of her beautiful youth and her past. What a lovely connection.