Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Knishing revisited

It's been a while since we went knishing. It's been way too long. Last night we took the old truck, the diesel that allows you to fully experience the ride, between the sheer noise of it's operation and then the smell of fuel and oil that lingers about it, there's no mistaking which vehicle we're in.

Dirt and rust are it's middle names.


It has many a good purpose though, and we took it last night specifically because of where we were going, or thought we were going. We were headed to a friend's remote pond in all it's picturesque and private splendor, and knew that there's always the chance of having to drive over fallen logs or of running into a tree and for that reason it's good to take a truck that can take a few bumps and bruises.

We also take a saw to this place. It's a must. That, and a sickle. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. It's back there and not always well traveled.

But the saw and the sickle only come into play when you remember the keys to unlock the gate. When you don't remember the keys, you might get a little angry with yourself. Cussing may ensue. Your wife may say, "hey, there's plenty of other places to go, just get back in the truck and let's go, it can still be a great night". But that's him, and me, that's just the way we are.

So we took our dinner from Subway to the river and didn't worry about the key one bit.

I'm working again on a sweater for myself with the yarn I bought last winter to make myself a sweater, the one I started and only got a quarter of the way through. This time I found a pattern I really like and I don't want to change at all. Miracle. So the plan is to stick with it and finish, but you know how I am about that. My track record isn't all too good when it comes to sweaters for myself.

It was one of those nights where we hardly talked, once we finally got to the water. We ate, I knitted, he fished, he only caught small ones, the river is so low. But beautiful. It was chilly and my toes turned blue. "Look Kev, my toes are blue," I said.

"Aaagh! What the h**l!"

"What? You've seen my blue toes before"

"Not really, not NEON, glow-in-the-dark blue!"

"I told you I'm cold all the time. I just have bad circulation. Remember?"

At which time he turns to me and says lovingly, "Wait a minute? Do you have blue eyes?"

Our running joke, appropriate at all times when he discovers something new about me that's been there all along.

2 comments:

patience said...

what a perfect night to knish! the weather was so dreamy...and the picture on the sunset river/pond, oh my amy!

ownyourbackbone.blogspot.com said...

What a glorious post. I feel like a took a lovely journey with a lovely !person. Thank you. Photos are wonderful. I'll take the piriformis stretch whenever is possible. Have a great weekend