Sunday, October 18, 2009

Birthdays

There he is, almost 9, Mr. Positive at his outdoor birthday party playing putt-putt, whacking baseballs, eating cake and watching his friends go wild. They are full of energy and unbridled enthusiasm, I just don't know how else to put it. Luckily Kevin was there to manage one group and one of the other dads stayed to manage my group while I politely stepped back and let him take over. They do listen so much better to someone who's around 6 feet tall with a deep voice. All you moms of boys out there know what I'm talking about and like me, I'm sure you frequently thank God for dads.

It was also a very cold day in October which isn't like central Virginia. It's not at all abnormal to wear shorts and short-sleeved shirts here this time of year and even up till the end of the month, so to be blunt about it, we froze. But Mr. Positive had a great time and from the looks and sounds of it so did his friends, but he ended the night feeling not so hot and had a temp of 103. And then Lauren woke up at 6 a.m. with one. I've been waiting for it and it must finally be here. Oink, oink. (Insert apology here to all the mothers of the little boys in attendance.)

So the fire roars, the blankets are strewn about, games and movies have filled the day and my littlest is trying her hardest to be sick. That's right, she cries wolf whenever possible, Lauren says nothing until things are horrible and John will tell you he feels fine even with a fever and we practically have to force him to stay down. He reminds me of a puppy in that way. If all goes well it will quickly pass, but in the meantime I might be able to have a little knitting post for you tomorrow, cross your fingers (and maybe your toes too).

No comments: