Saturday, May 1, 2010

That's how it's supposed to taste

The farmers market is open again and not a moment too soon. Before we dug into these strawberries my son said, "Man, they're small."

"Just taste them," I said.

"Mmmmmm! These are so good."

"That's how they're supposed to taste," I explained.

I find myself saying that quite a bit when I take the time and plan what we're eating and try to make the most healthy decisions possible, buying fresh and buying local when possible. We're already spoiling ourselves with fresh eggs from our chickens which are completely different from what you can buy in a store, even if the label says organic or free range. Really, there's just no comparison to the color, consistency and most of all taste. Bake with them and you'll immediately see and taste the difference. But you really can't just take my word for it, you'll have to try it yourself.

So why not scout out your local farmer's market this season? If you're not sure where to start, try these helpful websites: Local Harvest, where you can find the producers in your area directly, the markets they serve and even your local CSAs where you can feel like part of the farm and even have their goods year round, not just during market season. Or try the Buy Fresh Buy Local Guide serving your region. This link happens to be for Virginia, but with a little searching I'm sure you can find information for your state.

You may or may not see the merit in this post, ever, or maybe one day you will. Mabe one day when you're nearing 40 or 50 or 60 and your husband has a miserable stomach ache and rolls over and tells you that if he has another Diet Mountain Dew he thinks it will kill him. Instantly. Maybe that will be the impetus you need for change. Or maybe you're 10 steps ahead of us, already eating well, taking care of yourself and being smart about what goes into your body because you see and feel the positive change. If you're one of those folks, share your wisdom with us, please. I for one can use all the help I can get.

But for now it's baby steps in this house. At least I have a captive audience and a husband and children who will eat what I serve. As long as the Pop Tarts and chips are less prominent and found less frequently on the grocery list, and I take the time to really plan my menus, I think we're on the right track.

No comments: