Saturday, January 29, 2011

Country life

These are the ratty, old coveralls I put on the other day so I could shimmy under the house to try to find the mouse that had died somewhere up under there. I did it partly on a dare, (husbands you know) but partly because I said I would, because I could, and because sometimes I like doing things I have no business doing as long as I know no one will get hurt. It's my chance to feel like a pioneer, a frontierswoman, you know way out here in the boonies, 5 miles from the suburban mega mall in my farmhouse, crawling through the dirt in a two-foot crawlspace under 80 years of timber and spiderwebs looking for rodent carcasses. Of course it was yucky, but then, what would you say you've done lately that really reminded you that you were alive? That's what I thought. And no, to answer your question, I didn't find a cotton pickin' thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you and I love those Bibs! I wore "something old" this past weekend at my parents while sledding.... my grandfather's quilted /insulted snow pants. Fashionable, not in the least, warm, yes, and full of memories - the best part.
So what was the smell.... let's hope the skunks stay away......