Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mellencamp and my kitchen

I've never thought of myself as much of a cook, but I like to cook, or rather I like to bake more. My kitchen activity goes in fits and spurts as time and my mood allows and this week is off to a good start. I made Ina Garten's "chicken stew with bisquits" last night which is probably the family's favorite meal. Roasted chicken, stew from scratch with cream and butter, and bisquits from scratch too, baked right on top full of goodness so good that it oozes right over the top of the dish. When I eat it I know what comfort food is.

Next week I'll probably be back to whatever I can find in the Trader Joe's frozen food section (which isn't bad) if I had to guess, but for now the family can live it up. I've gotten better with practice and lots of it, feeding a family of five a home cooked meal every night is a bigger challenge than I ever realized and when anyone complains about the menu....grrr....don't get me started.

All this reminds me of how far I've come though, and I'm thankful for the challenge. I used to feel like the woman in John Mellencamp's song, "Pink Houses" when he said, "I remember when she could...starve a block". Yeah, that was me in my 20's.

1 comment:

Tara said...

I agree with you about cooking. i only cook large meals because I have others to feed. If it was me, I'd be content with rice and beans or stir fry each night. baking, on the other hand, I do no need an excuse to bake.